Thursday, June 9, 2011

Jetstar... the user pays!

I recently booked my return flights from Melbourne to Newcastle so I can go home for my uni break. As Jetstar don't allow wheelchair users to book online, I went through the process of ringing the call centre.

After making the booking and receiving the itinerary, I was shocked to find that they had charged me an extra $2o per flight just for making the booking through the call centre! They also charge anyone who doesn't use their new Jetstar Mastercard, a fee of $14 to make the booking on any other credit card!

Both of these realisations made me rather angry. I decided to tell Jetstar just how angry I was and how unacceptable these costs were.

This is the complaint I sent to them via their website:



I am a wheelchair user who has no choice but to book my flights through the Jetstar call centre. I find it very unacceptable that just because I have no choice but to book through the call centre, that I am forced to pay the $20 Call Centre Offset on each flight booked. I would prefer to book online as it is much easier to do so than via telephone, however, this is NOT my choice.

I also find it unacceptable that anyone no using the Jetstar Mastercard, has to pay a $14 fee to use another card. Personally, I do not have a credit card, I have a debit card. I am on the Disability Support Pension, I am unemployed and therefore, I cannot afford to have a credit card. I have a debit card for instances where I need to pay for things over the phone or online, but I don't see why those who are not able to have a credit card because of financial circumstances, should have to pay the $14 fee.

With these two costs added to my booking, I ended up paying an extra $54. This is unnecessary and unacceptable.

Jetstar needs to implement a no fee policy into any booking where the passenger is traveling with a wheelchair or other type of mobility equipment. Just because you have not set up a system for us to be able to book online, does not mean we should have to pay for it.



SO: What are you experiences with air travel? Have you been charged ridiculous amounts? Or have you had other issues with airlines non related to fees? Leave me some comments, I'd love to hear your experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment