Monday, May 30, 2011

NDIS... Have you written your letter?

I realised recently that all of this jumping up and down (metaphorically speaking that is ;) ), that I have been doing recently in regards to making people aware of the NDIS and the need for it is all well and good, however I realised two things:

1) People with a disability need to be more involved and more stating their needs

and

2) Signing the Every Australian Counts campaign is an excellent start, but really we should be following that up with a letter to Prime Minister Julia Gillard, telling her our story, saying why we count, and asking when the NDIS will be implemented.

So after realising all of this I have written my letter to Julia Gillard and I want everyone else to do the same.

I know it takes effort to write, print, fold, envelope, stamp and address a letter, SO what if I said all you had to do was write the letter and email to me instead? That is what I am offering: If you write the letter and email it to me at maddles_456@hotmail.com , I will print and send everyone's letters together.

If you are thinking okay, good, but what do I write? Well below is just my letter and what I wrote, use it as a guide, but really say whatever you think, but we need to not ask IF an NDIS will be implemented but rather WHEN an NDIS will be implemented.

My letter:

Dear Julia,

My name is Madeleine Sobb, I am 21 and I am from Melbourne. I was born with a rare bone growth disorder resulting in short stature. I was also born with both of my hips dislocated and scoliosis in my spine. I am able to walk short distances but I mainly use my electric wheelchair for daily living.


I am studying a Health Science degree in Disability Studies at RMIT University. I am a Para Equestrian Dressage Rider, and a disability rights activist. I spend much of my free time working on many disability related projects.


I am writing to let you know how much Australia needs a National Disability Insurance Scheme.

I am sure you are well aware of the Every Australian Counts campaign towards an NDIS. There is so much in politics and the media about equally and making sure people of all ages, race, sex, religion, gender etc, get a fair go and have a life that counts.


If I counted, I wouldn’t have struggled so much in mainstream education to receive adequate teacher’s aide funding.


If I counted, I would’ve received post school funding to help me to achieve my goals, rather than being told, I wasn’t ‘disabled’ enough to receive assistance.


If I counted, I wouldn’t spend copious amounts of time filling out forms, making phone calls, and fighting hypocrisy just to get my basic needs met.


If I counted, I would receive all of the funds to pay for the $75,000 modified vehicle I need to achieve complete independence.


If I counted, my siblings wouldn’t be financially disadvantaged because my parents are having to plan for my security in the future.


If I counted, my parents wouldn’t spend time worrying if my needs will be met after their time.


In Wayne Swan’s Federal Budget speech he said: “Australia has many capable hands, we don’t want a single pair to go to waste.” Without an NDIS, you cannot be certain that will be the case. We NEED an NDIS and we NEED it NOW! Its not about wanting anymore, its an urgent need.


So my question to you is, WHEN will we see the implementation of an NDIS?


I will look forward to hearing from you in regard to this matter.


Yours Sincerely,




Madeleine Sobb



ACT NOW: Write your letter, maybe try and keep it within 2 pages and email it to maddles_456@hotmail.com, I am going to need them to be to me no later than Sunday 5th June 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment